- Douglas M. Poorman, DVM – I am a 1997 graduate of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. I have been practicing veterinary medicine for 17 years and have had the opportunity to work on large and small animals, as well as a variety of exotic pets. Petplex Animal Hospital opened in November of 2003, and I have enjoyed the generous support of the Buckeye Lake community. We moved into our current facility in March of 2010 and have been excited to be able to offer our clientele improved services because of the additional space in the new hospital.I grew up in a rural community similar to Buckeye Lake and enjoyed spending time in the summer on my grandparent’s farm. I have always had a variety of pets (dogs, cats, etc.) and spent a good deal of my childhood working with livestock and horses. These experiences have always drawn me toward the field of veterinary medicine and helped me appreciate the human animal bond.I am pleased that my staff and I are able to provide exceptional care for the pets in our community. As we get to know our clients it becomes more and more obvious that the pets we see are more like members of family and that when they hurt, we hurt too. We always try to treat our patients with the same care and concern that we would want for the loved ones in our lives.
- Justin Kirchhofer, VMD – I am a graduate of the School of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania. Currently I am sitting on the Denison University Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. For many years I have lived and worked in the Granville area. I have been married for over 20 years, and have three children. In my spare time I play and coach soccer. Spending time with my family is my favorite activity. I love cats, dogs, and generally all living things. I have two Dachshunds, and eight cats. I have a true love for felines. I am interested in progressive medicine and minimally invasive procedures such as Ultrasound, Laparoscopy, and Endoscopy. I take great pride, enjoyment, and satisfaction in getting to know each client and patient. Building a bond that lasts a lifetime while giving the highest quality of care is my passion.
- Libby Carstensen, DVM – I am a graduate of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. I also attended OSU for my undergraduate education in Animal Sciences. I have been in Columbus for a little over seven years and hope to make it my home for good. I grew up north of here on the shores of Lake Erie, in a speck of a town called Bono, OH. I spent most of my childhood riding horses and following my parents around at work, dreaming of the day that I could follow in their footsteps. They are both veterinarians. This is truly my ideal job.
As a veterinarian, I am interested in internal medicine, soft tissue surgery and orthopedic surgery. I was recognized for Excellence in Neurology and received the highest Latin Honors for academic excellence while in school. I have the knowledge, experience and passion necessary to practice the highest quality of medicine – the quality of medicine your pet deserves.
My own pets keep me on my toes when I am at home. My cats, Ivy and Rumple, have an uncanny fondness for idle water glasses, knocking over potted plants and stealing hair bands. They are both rescues – Ivy from a fishing net in a Lake Erie marina and Rumple from an abandoned cardboard box. I feel so lucky that they have brought their mischief into my life!
In my free time, I am an avid outdoors enthusiast. I enjoy running, hiking, swimming, biking, sand volleyball and parkour. My boyfriend is in the process of opening a parkour and athletics gym – Horizons Movement – so we spend a good deal of time planning and researching how best to run a gym. I would greatly appreciate suggestions for hiking, biking or running trails you enjoy in and around central Ohio. I look forward to meeting you and your pet!
- Dawn S. Faught – I am the Office Manager and have worked here at Petplex since we opened in 2003. I have worked in the veterinary field for over 20 years. I attended Ohio Dominican University and Ohio State School of Cosmetology. This area has been my home for 25 years. My daughter, Amanda, is a student of Ohio University. Charm and Rocky are my two horses, and I also have five cats—all rescues or special needs babies. Hairy, my black Scottish terrier, is my best buddy. He goes everywhere with me. The latest addition to my family is Ana Rose. She is wheaten Scottish terrier, full of life and fun. When I am not working, I enjoy riding my horses, being outdoors, doing anything from baling hay to camping, truck and tractor pulls, and cooking.
- Matthew Harvey – I am the assistant manager, technician and care-giver in the boarding kennels at Petplex Animal Hospital. I am a 2003 graduate of Watkins Memorial High School and a 2008 graduate of Ohio Northern University, with a bachelor of Science in Biology. While attending college, I worked as a veterinary assistant at Petplex during the summers. Having grown up around animals all my life, I know the joy and benefits of having them in my life. I have a golden retriever named Teah, and two cats named Binks and Circe .
- Amanda Swick – I am a 2007 graduate of the Vet Tech Institute at Bradford Schools. I have an Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology, and have successfully completed the Veterinary Technician National Exam. I currently reside in the country with my husband, five horses, and two Australian Shepherds named Tater and Wrangler. I have been working in the veterinary field since 2007. In my spare time, I enjoy volunteering for the Pony Express, (horseback riding program for disabled children), competing at horse shows and spending time with friends and family. I have always enjoyed working with animals and love my occupation as a Registered Veterinary Technician.
- Megan Welch – I am a Vet Tech and the Inventory Manager at Petplex Animal Hospital. I decided to go to school to become a Vet Tech because I have always had an interest in animals. Since I was young I have loved to help animals in any way possible. I currently live in Thornville with my loving husband, Mark, and my young son Ace. I have 3 cats: Selene, Apollo and Wilson. Selene and Apollo I got when they were only a few days old and bottle fed them both. Wilson was a stray that I adopted. I also just adopted my first dog. His name is Renegade and he is an 8-year-old mastiff. I am also interested in continuing my education and improving my skills in any way I can.
Training Staff / Technician
- Sierra Johnson – I am a 2011 graduate of the Vet Tech Institute at Bradford School with an Associate degree in Veterinary Technology AND have successfully passed the Veterinary Technology National Exam (VTNE). Petplex has presented me with the opportunity to specialize in animal behavior and obedience training using positive reinforcement methods. I enjoy teaching both group and individual behavioral modification classes to help build a strong human-animal bond. I was an active 4-H member for 12 years showing lambs, pigs and steer. I currently reside in the country with my chihuahua, Lexi, and two rescue boys: a beagle mix, Henry, and a pitbull, Godric, and two rescue cats. I have always had a passion for animals and training. I enjoy my job and look forward to giving back to the animals and the community.
- Allie Krofft – I am a 2011 graduate of Bradford School with an Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology. I have successfully passed the VTNE to become a Registered Veterinary Technician. I have always been passionate about animals. As a child I was always rescuing injured animals on my family farm. In the future I hope to become more educated so I can better serve our clients and patients.
- Sierra Guerin – I am a registered veterinary technician at Petplex Animal Hospital. I knew from a very young age, that helping animals was my passion and a career I would want to pursue. I attended The Vet Tech Institute of Bradford and graduated with an Associates degree. Shortly after attending college, I met who is now my husband and moved to the Buckeye Lake area to start a new life. When I first walked into Petplex, I knew that I had found a place where my love for animals and their well-being would be deeply shared. I have five rescue “kids”: Daisy, Bella and Dozer, my crazy and energetic dogs. Nugget and Meatball, my cats, which should have been born dogs! All of us here at Petplex look forward to meeting you and your pets very soon!
- Sara Behrens – I am a 2006 graduate of Berne Union High School and a 2007 graduate of the Vet Tech Institute at Bradford schools where I got my Associates degree. In 2008 I passed my VTNE, which allows me to be a Registered Veterinary Technician in the state of Ohio. I started working at Petplex in June of 2013. I also work part-time at a clinic in Columbus doing house calls. Animals have always been my passion and I knew growing up I wanted to be in a profession that helped animals in their time of need. I am the “crazy cat lady” of the clinic, but you are almost certain to see me at some point if you have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi! I currently live in Lancaster with my husband, Randy, and my son, Kain. I own 4 wonderful kittens; Peach, Brian, Muffler and Sasuke.
- Shana Pruden – I graduated from the Vet Tech Institute at Bradford Schools in March 2013. I started working at Petplex shortly after in June 2013. I always knew from a young age I wanted to work with animals. Growing up I had a variety of pocket pets, a couple of birds and a Sheltie. Currently I have a cockatiel named Mo, a guinea pig named Peanut and a recently adopted kitten named Flynn. My goal is to keep advancing my education to maintain the high quality of care for both patients and clients here at Petplex.
- Allie Mason – I’ve known that I wanted to work with animals from a very young age. I used to rescue horses with my neighbor and bring home stray kittens all the time. I graduated from the Vet Tech Institute at Bradford Schools in March of 2013. I became a registered Veterinary Technician in the state of Ohio. In my spare time, I enjoy riding and showing my horses, Paris and Smokin’ Chocolate Mocha. I also enjoy knitting, reading and being with my family and my fiance. I currently have two dogs, Kippy and Biloxi, two cats, One-and-a-Half-Eyed William and Tigger, a rabbit, Penelope, and my horses. I wouldn’t trade them in for a million dollars. My pets are my world, just as your pets are to you. Therefore, I treat my patients as my own and promise to provide the highest quality care that I can.
- Cayla Goodman – I am one of the receptionists here at Petplex. I joined the team in early spring of 2012. I am a graduate of Fairfield Union High School. I am currently attending Ohio University- Zanesville Branch. I am majoring in nursing and specializing in pediatrics. I grew up on a small farm outside of Lancaster where I was very active in 4-H and FFA throughout my childhood. I held the office of Treasure of my local FFA chapter. At the 2012 Fairfield County Fair I received the honor of raising the Grand Champion Steer. I have been showing animals at the county fair since I was eight, which is where a lot of my love for animals came from. I have a cat named Dale and a Australian Shepherd named Bailey.I have had the privilege to travel to the Dominican Republic with Village Mountain Missions to build housing for the local people. This is a very fulfilling experience.
- Emmalee Ours – I have been a receptionist here at Petplex Animal Hospital since May of 2013. I graduated from Sheridan High School and am now a student of the Ohio State University at Newark, achieving my bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene. Since I was eight years old I have been a member of 4-H where I have been the club president. I also joined the Future Farmers of America when I was 13. Throughout all of 4-H and FFA I have shown livestock at the Perry County Fair, and participated in many judging teams for Sheridan’s FFA chapter. Currently, I have two boer goats that are getting ready for fair named Cinderella and Queen Elsa. In 2012 I was one of four FFA members that received gold individual ranking for placing within the top 50 at the national contest. Raising livestock, and having cats and dogs on the farm, has brought me to love animals. I love working with all of the animals here at Petplex, and I am looking forward to my future in dentistry.
- Meggin Flath – I will soon be graduating from the Ohio State University with a degree in agricultural education. I plan to obtain my masters in education, specializing in guidance counseling. I am currently building a dairy goat farm, where I will make cheeses and soaps from goat milk. I have always had a love of animals and the desire to help people. Working at Petplex helps to fulfill both.
- John Triance – I am a graduate of Lancaster High School. I continued my education with an Associate Degree in Travel and Tourism, as well as courses in Landscaping Design and Landscaping Maintenance. I also attended Diamond Cut Dog Grooming School where I earned my Certified Dog Groomer Certificate. After working in the travel and tourism industry, traveling the world, being a landscaper and a private gardener for 20 plus years, I decided I needed a change in my life. While working with my sister in her grooming and boarding business, I found my nitch. Animals are one of my passions. I love both dogs and cat. During that time I decided to continue my education once more and obtain my Certified Groomer Certificate. All of my four-legged friends are unique and hold a special place in my heart.
- “K” Fell – I am a graduate of Bexley High School and I received an associate degree in Applied Sciences of Veterinary Medicine from Columbus State Community College to become a Registered Veterinary Technician. I graduated from Capital University, earning 2 Bachelors Degrees in General Studies with a focus on the human/animal bond. I designed a human/animal bond course as my senior project which ultimately was taught to honor students at Columbus State Community College.I have practiced as a Registered Veterinary Technician for over thirty years in Columbus and Granville. I have been employed at Petplex Animal Hospital in Buckeye Lake for the past seven years. Douglas Poorman, DVM provided me with the opportunity to redirect my interests and I have been the manager of the Buckeye Lake Pet Club boarding facility since March, 2010. With my years of experience as an RVT and the depth of my interest in studying the human/animal bond; you can be assured that your pet(s) will be cared for as if they are a respected member of my family.On a personal note, I have 3 dogs, Happy, Roo, and Fly Boy and one cat, RJ and a frog, Froggy. I have volunteered at Second Chance, a prison program which instructed inmates in the care of rescued dogs to be placed in permanent, loving homes. I am also very active in environment issues and organizations in the Buckeye Lake community.