Petplex Animal Hospital offers emergency medical care until 9 pm on weekdays and weekends on an appointment basis. If your pet is experiencing an emergency or sudden illness, please call 740-929-3300. Due to limited staff and hours, we can assist in referral to the closest 24-hour option if we cannot see your pet in crisis.
These are common signs of a pet emergency. If you believe your pet is experiencing any of these emergency symptoms, or if you are unsure, please give us a call. We will be able to tell you if it is an emergency and can guide you through the following steps.
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn’t stop within five minutes
- Choking, difficulty breathing or nonstop coughing and gagging
- Inability to urinate or pass feces (stool), or obvious pain associated with urinating or passing stool
- Injuries to your pet’s eye(s)
- You suspect or know your pet has eaten something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Fractured bones, severe lameness, or inability to move leg(s)
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea – more than two episodes in 24 hours, or either of these combined with apparent illness or any of the other problems listed here
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more