In case of a Pet Emergency
Petplex Animal Hospital offers emergency medical care on Sunday- Saturday 9:00 am – 9:00 pm on an appointment basis only. We are equipped to provide a complete range of emergency services, advanced diagnostics, and hospitalization.
In the event of an emergency during our normal office hours please call ahead 740-929-3300 to schedule an appointment. For after-hour emergencies call the Petplex Animal Hospital phone number at 740-929-3300 and follow the instruction prompts.
If we cannot see your pet in a timely manner or if your pet requires advanced care, we can assist you in referral to the closest 24-hour emergency clinic.
What is considered an Emergency?
- Trauma (hit by car, dog fight wounds, broken bones)
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn’t stop within five minutes
- Choking, difficulty breathing or nonstop coughing and gagging
- Inability to urinate or pass feces (stool), or obvious pain associated with urinating or passing stool
- Injuries to your pet’s eye(s)
- Poison Exposure (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Fractured bones, severe lameness, or inability to move leg(s)
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea – more than two episodes in 24 hours, or either of these combined with apparent illness or any of the other problems listed here
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
How long will we have to wait?
We see emergency appointments along with a full appointment schedule so the wait times could vary. Emergency cases will be prioritized based on the severity of the medical need. We understand that having a pet emergency can be difficult; we will do our best to see each emergency appointment in a timely manner.
Do I need to call ahead?
Yes, we see emergency appointments on an appointment basis ONLY.
Do you take emergency referrals?
Yes, we can take referrals from primary care veterinarians and other veterinary clinics.